Sunday, September 8, 2013

Thoughts on death, death metal, and presence

As I queue up Necrophagist's "Onset of Putrefaction" in my iTunes, and having just listened to a bit more of Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now," I meditate on potential connections between the technicality of some strains of death metal and its preoccupation with -- you guessed it -- death. I wonder to myself if, by dwelling on the unknowable, artists like Necrophagist feel an unconscious drive to add complexity to their music. If there is a perceived complexity in the topic of death, and it is hence reflected in the music. And Eckhart Tolle becomes tied in insofar as he, along with other spiritual teachers, stresses the nonexistence of death in anything other than a conceptual context. As Eckhart Tolle states, nothing real can be threatened. "Life" and "death" are used almost exclusively in the employ of perspectives which presuppose the world of form, of thought, as real. This is all I have for now on this thought, but I would like to explore it more.

No comments: